< meta name="DC.Date.Valid.End" content="20050825"> Amendment Nine: A note about power

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

A note about power

I've heard a lot of people say: "power corrupts". It does, I agree. They then go on to say: "absolute power corrupts absolutely." Again agreed. Patting themselves on the back, they conclude: "this will not be a good four years for the Republicans." Maybe.

But my fare Democratic friends, my soul-sisters and brothers, you have forgotten one more premise to your tiddy wisdom. "Knowledge is power." And insofar as knowledge is power, it too corrupts.

I caution you all, do not think for one spare second this is unknown to your opposition. They know this truth well, and they will seek continued shelter under the shield of ignorance. How long will the politics of "un"knowledge last? No one I talk to seems to know.