< meta name="DC.Date.Valid.End" content="20050825"> Amendment Nine: Readers Respond

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Readers Respond

Reader JH asks:
You say that academia should dialogue with conservatives who call liberals traitors. But how can you dialogue with someone who doesn't want to discuss but inflame? Aren't some standards just too high?
I gave JH the best answer I know of, read the Meno. When you are done, read this.

My only other advice would be to relearn the lessons of liberalism before it went awry. What I mean by this is best described by Father Zosima in Brothers Karamazov, preached about by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and in fact practiced by Gandhi. Is this too high a standard? I think not. I think, in many ways, that its such a low standard, many of us tend to forget. This is liberalism without paternalism, free education without partisanship, discussion without debate.