< meta name="DC.Date.Valid.End" content="20050825"> Amendment Nine: E. Nathaniel Gates

Monday, January 09, 2006

E. Nathaniel Gates

Was a good man, a brave soul, and a true friend. At the last stages of his life he was in immense pain, yet he still took the time to assist me with my own researches, and add to them his own insights. We weren't even half-way done with the work we had set out to accomplish, but I will go that last half with his thoughts firmly in my mind, and his friendship deeply in my heart. Nathaniel was someone who understood that justice was a compound, derived from the generous blessings of reason and love. But he was also a wonderful teacher. His students were always the most engaged, most excited, most committed. Aristotle must have been thinking of someone like him when he said this...
"Those who educate children well are more to be honored than they who produce them; for parents only gave them life, the good educators though gave them the art of living well."